Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Scheming - tips for picking a whole house of color

If choosing a whole house color scheme seems like a daunting task to you, believe me, you are not alone. Even though I have a very distinct style and am confident in it, I am a commitment-phobe when it comes to picking colors for my walls. I have decided deeps breaths and inspiration boards are the way to go. And at some point, you just have to commit. Here are my tips for putting a color scheme together.

Numero Uno:: Gather inspo.
Inspiration boards and the internet make life 10 times easier. Pinterest is invaluable when it comes to this, obvi! I went back and looked at all of my recent pins and looked for color patterns. I am clearly drawn to grey, cream, white and BLUE right now, with little pops of pink!! Honestly, I think I am blue obsessed. I think trolling the internets overall is a great way to find color inspiration. Turn to the professionals....that gorgeous stack of books was staged by a professional at One Kings Lane for their coffee table book sale and I just about flipped when I saw it. It's perfection, not only in color but in style too!! It is going to be my jumping off point for the entire house. Gather as many images as you can from as many sources as you can-- from magazines, online, don't be afraid to snap photos of store displays, planter boxes, nature, sunsets....anywhere. Inspiration is everywhere. What captures your attention through out the day or night? All you really need is a starting point and things seem to flow from there.


Color inspiration

Numero Dos:: Turn to your closet.
I highly recommend you give a great deal of thought to your personal style. Take a minute to look at your closet. What do you wear? Neutrals, bright colors, classic lines, bold patterns, mix and match? Take cues from your closet and decorate accordingly.

I'm looking forward to heading over to Sherwin Williams this morning and picking out a few samples to test run. Grey, beige, white and navy are on the wall color list for me. Pops of gold and pink will for sure be found in accessories. I promise to keep you updated as I make decisions......ggahhhhhhhh! Color commitment is on the horizon. Be sure to follow me on Instagram for daily house building shenanigans.

post signature

No comments: