Friday, July 20, 2012

Stop and smell the roses

The plan was as usual - Friday Style File. I had a post planned focusing on hair, you know the open back dress, it warrants a chic ponytail. But then I awoke to yet another random, senseless act of violence. Tragedy. In a town where some of our family lives. Thank God they are all ok. So my focus obviously turned and when the universe sends you in a certain direction, you must go with it right? I was struck by Obama's speech today:
reflect


"Life is fragile. Our time here is limited and it is preciuos. What matters at the end of the day is not the small things, it's not the trivial things that ultimately consume our daily lives, it is how we choose to treat one another and how we love one another, it's what we do on a daily basis to give our lives meaning and purpose. That is what matters. At the end of the day, what we will remember is those we love and what we did for others. That's why we're here."

I think it is a good time to stop, look around and count my blessings. Five things I am thankful for::
1. A healthy family.
2. Good friends. Trips to the beach with them and coffee breaks at the drop of a hat.
3. Back to school shopping.
I was struck last night while we were shopping with the girls-- it was the first time Brian came with us shopping for school supplies and he was a little baffled by the process which got me thinking. It's a tradition for the girls and I often allow them to indulge in more than just the items that they need. This time I was stopped in my tracks and actually choked up a little thinking that there are children all over this country, in our town, in your town that don't shop for school supplies because they can't, the reasons are many.
4. My busy schedule. What if I didn't have these things in my life to keep me busy? The kids, a hubby, friends, the dogs, the house, entertaining, chores, fabric, bags, blogging, fashion. I am thankful for all of it.
5. Sunsets.
The girls and I stopped to take in the most amazing sunset this week. A sunset and a rainbow at the same time are quite a sight. It was stunning and we talked about how incredible natures creations are.

Linking up with Lauren at From My Grey Desk for High Five for Fridays.

Photobucket
post signature

1 comment:

smk053078 said...

I try to stop and take time everyday to remember all of the things I am thankful for and all that God has blessed me with. Have a great weekend, friend!
Shanna
Giveaway @ Because Shanna Said So