Saturday, October 22, 2011

Front Door Style

Polyvore and I are fighting - don't know why, but we are! I held tight all day yesterday hoping it would sort itself out (you know that "I'll give you some time to realize you are wrong" approach) but still no luck. So my pretty Front Door Decor polyvore shall not be - we are now well into Saturday and I'm officially cheating on polyvore-- with Pinterest of course!

I have talked quite a bit about my front door-- the color of pea soup, with the nails sticking out around it that have been there since our Christmas garland was taken down. I literally have had nothing at the front door since then. I threw a peacock feather wreath on it and called it a day. I had been contemplating painting it for quite some time and finally got around to it!  Yay! So here is my new front door. I wish i had a before to show you - but you know me and admitting to ugly parts of the house....lol. Best to just show the pretty "after" shots. ha!


I painted the door black, (there is one spot on there that I cannot seem to get to gloss for some reason-- I have NO idea why. Can you see it? I hate to point out the ugly but not sure what to do about it. I have already painting another coat on it...might have to try one more coat.)  added a chevron stripe curtain  and a really simple sisal rug - I'm thinking about stenciling an "h" on the rug. I decorated with an organic looking tall wooden vase with a fern and a modern piece of pottery (that is really meant for inside) and then a few pumpkins. It was a really simple and quick makeover. Painting the door was not as bad as I though it was going to be....the only issue I had was closing the door for the night after three coats of semi gloss paint, which I knew was not 110% dry.  I didn't want the edges to peel off as the door closed onto the seal...I surprised myself with an idea-- put Vaseline on the seal of the door jam so the door would not stick. It worked perfectly! I just wiped the Vaseline off the following day and let the paint completely cure. I love it!

Now the dilemma is what to put on the door. I have looked high and low for a wreath that I love and they are just not out there. I'm resigned to the fact that I am just not a wreath person. There is ONE that I have found that I love....but i need to make it...so maybe at Christmas :) so--- for now I am thinking I'll just put a door knocker on there and that's all. After all....why do I have to have a wreath?? I DON'T! Epiphany, ha?? So I am now on the hunt for a door knocker..my top picks are this fox, an vintage owl or hunting around ebay and etsy for something like this - which I lurve!

Source: flickr.com via Simone on Pinterest


I also really like the idea of a small number plaque and a knocker - just not a crab knocker.

Source: flickr.com via Simone on Pinterest


The other problem with this is that our house number has 5 digits in it so if I were going to use a number, should I just use a random one...like 4 since there are 4 of us?? Or just any random number I find on a vintage metal tag?  What do you think?  I'm also on the hunt for a new simple, sleek outdoor light but have not had much time to peruse for that yet.

What sort of door knocker do you think I should get? Or do you have any other suggestions for me? What is on your front door?

Happy Stylish Saturday! And nannynanny booboo to polyvore!
post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lady S - super cool front door - great energy & vibe...you'll know the perfect door knocker when you see it - ace job as only we would expect from you !
Happy upcoming halloween...
MOX

Claire said...

i really love that red hand door knocker. so much fun! and i really need to get on pinterest and polyvore!

http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

Kermit Lukacs said...

I think black doors are really stylish. I also think that problem spot with the paint might have something to do with what was on it BEFORE the paint went on. It’s a little late now, but if you want to repaint your door next time, it would be a good idea to sand it first so that the paint and gloss would go evenly.