Thursday, September 22, 2011

Inspiration Workshop No.16 - Family Room

Another fabulous prompt from the Gussy Sews Inspiration Workshop - Family Room. Although I have posted photos before of our living room - I think I have yet to share our family room with you. This is mostly due to the fact that the walls are painted yellow and it always looks horrific in photos. That combined with the fact that it needs a little updating will ban it from the blog-- vintage, check. modern, check. pretty... ah, so-so. It certainly is not up to par so it just doesn't make the blog cut right now! It will soon though! I have big plans to paint it while the kid are up at my parents for the week over fall break. I think that would also be a good time to hang some curtains too! And make a slip cover or two and also try to convince Mr. H that a new couch is in order.....hmmmmm. That might be a tough one! I'm dying for a tufted couch. Powers of persuasion are going to be needed with that.


I of course have been on the hunt for inspiration. I know for sure that our walls are going cream and one wall will be striped. The room also need to work  with our kitchen as they are both conjoining.   I found the above photo really inspiring as it mixes both vintage florals (on the lampshade) and modern florals in the wallpaper). I currently have this wallpaper as a backsplash in our kitchen so everything will need to work with that. I'm also completely dying for something velvet-- like the gorgeous sofa below. I think I'll be mixing that in with the vintage iron crib turned love seat that we have. I'll be mixing in patterns of all kinds and am trying my hardest to use plenty of solids as well. Pulling in loads of vintage pieces - have I ever told you about my vintage lamp obsessions? It's not healthy, I promise you that! Some great books and plenty of texture.


I feel like I have been gathering inspiration for ever and cannot wait to get  started... and finished. The overall plan is casual, comfy, chic. A perfect place to cozy down in front if the TV or a board game with the kiddos or to sit the fire with a  little time for  pinterest.... Searching next for master bedroom makeover inspiration. lol! It never ends!  Do you have any big home projects on the horizon? I would love to hear about them!
Gussy Sews Inspiration Workshop!
Head on over to Gussy Sews for more family room inspiration.


post signature

1 comment:

Earl-Leigh said...

A striped wall would be FAB! I'm crazy for patterns and textures also, they just add so much more of a "finished" look. Thank you for visiting my blog! I definitely suggest letting your husband test drive couches with you. I was shocked to pieces at how much of an opinion mine had. LOL. :)