Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Choose Shoes....and fabric.

In life, there are tough decisions to be made. Especially when one has "white" chaise lounge cushions that are almost 5 years old...ie, no longer very white. I could have shopped here for fabulous new cushions, thus breaking the bank and forfeiting these shoes that I am drooling over. And ya'll know how I love me some shoes! So, I choose shoes and fabric-- it's option B-- Making slipcovers for the existing cushions, which work perfectly, just didn't look so pretty. I used two outdoor tablecloths that I purchase at Homegoods for 16.99 each. I stayed up until 1am sewing and voila! Beauty!

Just in time for our "little 4th of July gathering." Making them was very simple. I just laid the cushion flat and measured seam to seam length and width. I made boxed corners and a slip back.


I of course didn't take pictures of the process because it was late, and I was crunching this in before heading to Palm Springs with girlfriends for a little r&r. I'd be happy to walk you through the process if you are interested, just email me.I also found this tutorial, which seems to be rather well written- the only thing I would change about it is that I used about a 6inch overlap on the back slip, 2 inches does not seem like enough when the cushion has to bend. I also added little ties to tie them onto the chair. Very easy and quick--and enough money left over for the shoes --Which I will be pairing with a tunic and tights for fall. How amazing do the shoes look with this fabric??


I'm seeing a tunic with a touch of red--either in piping or a band somewhere..maybe the sleeves. The fabric is from Amy's new line that will be out this fall...not exactly sure when but I cannot wait to get my hands on it....Soul Blossoms is her new line. It's uplifting and soulful, deep and colorful. Amy's fabrics are always a great choice.
luvluv.
Simone (who chooses shoes...and fabric)

7 comments:

Amy said...

good choice and the lounges look FAB!

rosiecampbell said...

Love the lounges!!!!

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Makes me think I should do the same with my cushions which aren't looking good anymore.
But I've got 9 to do including the chairs.
when can you come and help me?
I'll fee you well!

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

that should have said FEED!

吳婷婷 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

Paula Prass said...

See you haven't been too bored. I am busy, busy designing my next fabric line, knowing you will need SOMETHING to do! xo

Sasha {Everything Fabulous} said...

love it!! I just bought some fabric to do the same but I'm loving your tablecloth!! Thanks for the inspiration love it!! Hope you are having a fabulous week!