Thursday, March 18, 2010

American Honey

How do our girls grow up so fast these days? I don't remember chatting with friends on the phone in third grade. And the weekly drama of she said, he said is way too much-- at the ripe old age of 9. How is one supposed to deal with that? Mean girls...in third grade. It's so hard to know what to say because I want to keep her who she is and not allow her to be mean back and I also do not want her to get stepped on or taken advantage of. There is a balance that is so hard to teach.I just want to put her in a bubble-- bare foot, playing in the garden with lace curtains blowing in the breeze. I guess I can at least stage the photos!


This week's Friday Style File brings a little tween inspration. Do you have one? A "tween?" You know the type-- 9 going on 16. Loves peace signs, talks on the phone and cannot get over the fact that it's not her own phone-- And, tragically, is beginning to have an opinion about what she wants to wear. Yep, right there with ya! Last time I took Miss O out to shop, she said "I don't know what it is...I just love peace signs " She then made a b-line for a rack of gag-worthy tee's with peace signs, rhinestones and something that looked like airbrushing? I thought to myself. "Wow, this is pay back. Was I really that bad as a teenager?" (mom, wipe that smile off your face!) We did work it out and only came home with one item I didn't approve of...yes, it included, rhinestones, airbrushing AND a peace sign. All on one piece. But it's just one piece, and it makes her happy. I have to give a little, right? Fortunately, I have come up with a few designs that Miss O loves AND really wants to wear! The cropped jacket above is one of them. It's adjustable and reversible and it can be done two ways...mine and hers.
Mine:
White Jeans, tank and croc print sandals from The Gap. The hat is from a shop in the UK but Target has some cute ones too. To punch it up and keep it fun, I added a bulky vintage inspired necklace from Betsey Johnson, but you can get a more affordable one at Buckle. The bracelet is from Forever 21.
Hers:

Substituted the crisp white jeans for leggings and jean shorts (which is for some reason really popular with the girls around here) It actually turned out to look rather cute too. Add the jacket over top and I could deal! I have designed three jackets in this syle. They will be available in the shop at the end of next week and will be featured on next weeks style file
As I head out for a girls weekend in Palm Springs (can you hear the smile in my voice??) I leave you all with this-- a fitting song that reminds me to keep it simple once in a while. Especially when dealing with our sweet girls and drama and life. Simplify....





I know I talk a good game but simplicity is not in my blood. I'm a more is more kinda' gal.

luvluv.
Simone

5 comments:

sweeter than cupcakes said...

Love, love that sweet little jacket.

Lori said...

Cute jacket, and I have 4 daughters ages 15(twins) to 23. I have experienced drama! Good luck.

Tabitha said...

I have one of those too...9 going on 30...and what is worse is as a musician who plays a lot of gigs and requires a different outfit every time lol...thank goodness my 11yo was never like this or I might be bald...

Mande said...

The jacket is fabulous! Loved this post. I have a 15 month old daughter and I fear the "tweenage" years. I know how I was so I expect Lane will be 10 times worse. LOL Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Lisa Billings said...

Ok, reading this post is like a playback of my life with my own Miss O (Olivia) who is also 9! omg...shopping trips practically reduce to to tears because I have to walk away from the sweet tops/skirts cottony sweet, eyelet trimmed...you know lol. She only wants to wear stuff made only of T-shirt material, and the more graphic and ugly the better, so I have to keep reminding myself she is her own person and my husband keeps telling me that my good taste will prevail in the end...lol.